We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Isaac N. Seymour SwStr
Isaac N. Seymour
(SwStr t. 133, 1. 100'- b. 19'8", dr. 6'0"; s. 11 k.; cpl.
30; a. 1 30-pdr. P.r., 1 20-pdr. P.r.)
Isaac N. Seymour (also called Seymour, I_N. Scvmour. and J. N. Seyn~our) was built at Keyport, N.J., in 1860 and was purchased by the Navy at New York from NIr. Schultz 26 October 1861. She was assigned to the North ltlantic Blockading Squadron 20 Novelllber and 3 days later was stationed in Hampton Roads. While there she joined three other ships in engaging Confederate steamer Patrick Henry and drove her back up stream.
A month later Flag Offlcer Goldsborough ordered Isaac N. Seymour to Hatteras Inlet for impending operations in the sounds of North Carolina. She participated in the combined operations which took Roanoke Island 8 February, and at the end of the action she was commended for being "con.spicuously in the foreground throughout the bombardment." One of her powdermen`-as killed and her chief engineer was seriously wounded in the fight.
The next day Isaac N. Seymour steamed up Piankatank River to Elizabeth City, N.C., with Comdr. Rowan's expedition to destroy enemy gunboats and to break up communications between Albemarle Sound and Norfolk, Va. She continued mop-up operations in the sounds until she struck an abandoned anchor in Hatteras Inlet 20 February and sank before she could be run aground.
She was raised, repaired, and returned to service in May. She resumed her former duty and continued to give a good account of herself in the sounds until 24 August when she struck a bank and sank in the Neuse River some 3 miles above New Bern while steaming upstream to cover a landing of troops. A month later she .~was reported raised and on the ways being readied for service.
Back in fighting trim 23 October, she was ordered to tow schooner Minnehaha to Plymouth, N.C., to deliver provisions. Five days later she made the return passage towing damaged steamer Whitchead to New Bern for repairs. Similar duty maintaining communications and lines of supply between Navy units in the sounds continued until 12 December when Isaac N. Aseymour ascended the Neuse River with four other ships to support an Army expedition to destroy railroad bridges and track near Goldsboro N.C., but the mission wa aborted by low wtaer which prevented their advancing more than 15 miles beyond Bern
Confederate troops attacked the Union garrison at Washington NC, 31 March 1863 establishing a seige wich threatened to starve the Northern troops into surrender. Isaac N. Seymour departed Plymouth 2 April to play an active role in the naval operations which despite well served batteries ashore, brought the beleugured soldiers food and ammunition. The Southern troops were finally forced to lift the blockade 16 April. Once again the daring and versatile Navy had been decisive in holding a hard pressed position for the North.
lsaac A~ Seymour was a part of the task force which started up the James River 11 July to demonstrate against Richmond. The high point of the expedition came 14 July when Rear Admiral S. P. Leet flying his flag in lsaac A~ Seymour occupied Fort Powatan, the last Confederate defense on the river below Chaffln's and Drewry's Bluff.
Isaac V. Seymour coninued to serve in the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron—maintaining Union control of North Carolina's inland waters and supporting Army operations from the James and York Rivers as General Grant supplied and supported by water, relentlessly pressed toward Richmond and victory.
Isaac V. Seymour was detached in March 1865 and decommissioned at Washington 16 May. She was transferred to the light House Board 20 June which she served as Tulip until sold and redocumented Magnolia 7 June 1882. Magnolia was sold to a foreign owner in 1888
Isaac N. Seymour SwStr - History
V ermilion County, I llinois
Genealogy and History
These folks are listed in the " Elder Sons and Daughters of Vermilion County" article in the 1911 History:
Diadama (Bloomfield) Atwood
John W. Bandy
Martin J. Barger
Samuel W. Baum
Priscilla (McCarty) Black
Thomas W. Blakeney
John D. Campbell
Henry F. Canady
George S. Cole
Francis Asbury Collison
W. T. Cunningham
James A. Current
William J. Davis
Amanda J. (Shepperd) Dickson
James A. Dickson
John P. Donovan
Thomas W. Douglas
Dorman B. Douglass
E. J. Draper
Francis M. Fairchild
Nathaniel R. Fairchild
John W. Fisher
Elisha C. Fithian
John W. Giddings
Francis M. Gundy
Elizabeth Catherine (McDonald) Harmon
Mrs. Julia (Payton) Harper
Mrs. Rhoda (Mills) Hester
George W. Hoskins
Almond N. LeNeve
Samuel P. LeNeve
Milton A. McDonald
Mrs. Emma (Porter) McDowell
William H. Mills
William H. Newlin
John W. Newlon
F. M. Olehy
William Jasper Olehy
E. H. Palmer
John J. Partlow
Mrs. Mary (Cox) Patterson
Jacob K. Robertson
James S. Sconce
Robert A. Short
Mr. J. L. Smith
R. Bruce Smith
John P. Swank
Mrs. Mary C. (Acree) Taylor
Joseph Col Vance
Amos Smith Williams
Remembering the Assemblies of God’s Black Heritage
It is well-known that the interracial Azusa Street Revival (1906-1909), a focal point of the emerging Pentecostal movement, was led by an African-American pastor, William J. Seymour. However, the African-American heritage of the Assemblies of God has often been overlooked.
Most of the approximately 300 ministers who organized the Assemblies of God in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in April 1914 were white. (At least two were Native American.) However, African-Americans played important roles in the early decades of the Assemblies of God – at the first few general council meetings and as pastors, evangelists, and missionaries. They overcame racism (including from fellow believers), they led consecrated lives, and they helped to lay the foundation for the Fellowship. Their stories are our stories. The following vignettes offer a glimpse into the lives and ministries of these sometimes unsung heroes.
William J. Seymour, a mild-mannered African-American Holiness preacher, is remembered as one of the most important figures in twentieth century American religious history. Just 111 years ago, he founded the Apostolic Faith Mission on Azusa Street in Los Angeles, which became home to the famed Azusa Street Revival. Hundreds of millions of Pentecostals around the world, including those in the Assemblies of God, view Seymour as a spiritual father. He would probably be surprised by the attention, as during his lifetime he was often marginalized, even within Pentecostal circles. But his persistent encouragements toward holiness, humility, racial reconciliation, and evangelism continue to shine as founding ideals of the Pentecostal movement.
Few early Pentecostals were as widely respected and admired as Charles H. Mason, founder of the Church of God in Christ. While the Church of God in Christ was a largely African-American Pentecostal denomination, Mason also credentialed numerous white ministers, some of whom ended up joining the Assemblies of God. Mason spoke at and blessed the founding general council of the Assemblies of God, and he also brought his black gospel choir from Lexington, Mississippi. E. N. Bell, the founding chairman of the Assemblies of God, called Mason “a real prophet of God.”
G.T. Haywood was the African-American pastor of the largest Pentecostal congregation in Indianapolis in the early decades of the twentieth century. He was also a noted theologian, author, songwriter, cartoonist, and inventor. His influence stretched far, and his congregation was racially mixed. The first issue of the Christian Evangel (later Pentecostal Evangel) included three articles by or about Haywood. He was invited to speak on the 1915 general council floor to represent the Oneness position, even though he never held Assemblies of God credentials. Haywood went on to serve as presiding bishop of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, a racially mixed Oneness Pentecostal denomination.
Ellsworth S. Thomas holds the distinction of being the first African-American to hold Assemblies of God ministerial credentials. His name was just a footnote in the history books until recently, when new information came to light. His parents, a Civil War veteran and a laundress, were part of a free black community in Binghamton, New York, that pre-existed the Civil War. By 1900, Ellsworth had become an itinerant evangelist, he was ordained in 1913 by a Pentecostal church in Buffalo, New York, and he transferred his ordination to the Assemblies of God in 1915. He remained a faithful Assemblies of God minister until his death at age 70.
Isaac and Martha Neeley were married late in life (in 1905) and became the first African-Americans to serve as Assemblies of God missionaries. They went to Liberia in 1913 under the auspices of Howard A. Goss’s largely-white Pentecostal fellowship, the Church of God in Christ (which was distinct from Charles H. Mason’s group by the same name). They transferred their credentials to the Assemblies of God in 1920 when they were home on furlough and received missionary appointment to Liberia in 1923. Isaac died just before they were set to leave, and Martha proceeded alone to Cape Palmas, where she was in charge of Bethel Home.
Cornelia Jones Robertson, an African American participant at the Azusa Street Revival, was ordained in 1909 and became a popular evangelist and preached at churches across the nation. She transferred her credentials to the Assemblies of God in 1923 and settled in San Francisco, where she became a church planter and evangelist. She ran the Barbary Coast Mission for 14 years and is credited for helping 100,000 people in need. She was one of few African Americans listed in the predecessor to the San Francisco Social Register.
Early Pentecostals loved gospel music, and Thoro Harris was one of their favorite song writers. He published countless songbooks and composed over 500 songs, including “Jesus Loves the Little Children” (1921), “All That Thrills My Soul is Jesus” (1931), and “He’s Coming Soon” (1944). Harris, an African-American, moved seamlessly in both white and black circles, as well as in both Holiness and Pentecostal churches. He made a substantial impact on Assemblies of God hymnody in its early decades.
Lillian Kraeger, a young single white woman, felt called to Africa as a missionary. She never made it to Africa, but instead became an unlikely Assemblies of God missionary to African-Americans in Harlem. Lillian was heartbroken when her Assemblies of God church in New York City rejected the membership applications of two young African American girls on account of their skin color. She did not want the girls to fall away from the Lord, so in 1916 she began traveling to Harlem to hold Bible studies. The studied blossomed and grew into Bethel Gospel Assembly, which is now the largest congregation in the United Pentecostal Council of the Assemblies of God, the African-American denomination which formed a cooperative alliance with the Assemblies of God in 2014.
Eddie Washington and his twin brother, Billie, were raised in a cruel orphanage in Rhode Island. They hoped for a reprieve when they went to a foster home at age 14. But when they accepted Christ at a Pentecostal church, their occultist foster mother beat them until their heads bled and forbade them to attend church again. They disobeyed, went back to church, and were filled with the Holy Spirit. Their foster mother, now afraid of them because she could tell that they had spiritual power, left them alone. The twins prepared for the ministry at Zion Bible Institute and entered the evangelistic ministry. Eddie and his wife, Ruth, joined the Assemblies of God and became well known African-American evangelists and missionaries.
When Bob Harrison felt a call to the ministry, he naturally turned to the Assemblies of God. His godmother, Cornelia Jones Robertson, was a pioneer African-American Assemblies of God minister. He graduated from an Assemblies of God Bible college in 1951, but he was denied credentials on account of his race, ironically, by the same district that ordained his godmother. Harrison quickly rose in prominence in evangelical circles. He joined the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association in 1960 and traveled the world as an evangelist. In 1962, he became the catalyst for overturning a policy, instituted in 1939, that forbade the ordination of African-Americans at the national level. Harrison, in his new role as an ordained Assemblies of God minister, became a visible proponent of working across the racial divides.
These and countless other African-American Pentecostals have made a significant impact on the Assemblies of God. In 2015, almost ten percent of Assemblies of God USA members – 308,520 people – were black. As a whole, ethnic minorities accounted for 43 percent of Assemblies of God adherents in the United States. The Assemblies of God, an heir of the Azusa Street Revival, consists of people from varied racial backgrounds who have come together in the power of the Holy Spirit to glorify Christ and to further His Kingdom.
Do you have Pentecostal historical materials that should be preserved? Please consider depositing these materials at the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center (FPHC). The FPHC, located in the Assemblies of God national offices, is the largest Pentecostal archive in the world. We would like to preserve and make your treasures accessible to those who write the history books.
--> Seymour, Isaac Gurden, 1804-1862
Isaac Gurdon Seymour was born in Savannah, Ga., in 1804, to a family with roots in Connecticut. Graduating from Yale with the class of 1825, Seymour moved to Macon, Ga., and opened a law office, but soon found himself drawn into publishing, and in 1832, he became an editor for the Georgia Messenger . Seymour's life in Georgia was marked by personal and financial accomplishment. A committed Whig, he took a deep interest in local politics, serving on the city council and as first mayor of Macon, and when the occasion arose, he also distinguished himself militarily, serving under Winfield Scott in both the Seminole and the Mexican Wars. Scott thought so highly of Seymour that he appointed him military governor of the Castle of Perote, Santa Anna's home, and allowed him to escort the defeated general to exile in Jamaica. The only real reversals of fortune to beset Seymour came in his family life. He and his wife, Caroline E. Whitlock, whom he married in 1829, lost three children in infancy and a fourth, their daughter Caroline, at the age of 19. Only one of their five children, William Johnson Seymour (b. May 12, 1832) survived into adulthood.
After returning from his service in the Mexican War, Seymour moved to New Orleans and became an editor and partner in the New Orleans Commercial Bulletin, the most important financial paper in the city. By the outbreak of the Civil War, Seymour was an established and well respected citizen of the community and was quick to offer his military skills in the defense of his adopted state. After turning over responsibility for the Commercial Bulletin to his son, Seymour enlisted in the mostly Irish 6th Louisiana Infantry, and was elected Colonel on May 21st, 1861. To Seymour's chagrin, the 6th Regiment and its officers soon earned a reputation as a hard brawling, hard drinking set of reprobates, but to his credit, they soon, too, proved their mettle as soldiers.
The 6th Louisiana Infantry was attached to the Army of Northern Virginia and sent to Centreville, Va. Having missed the Battle of Bull Run while assigned to guard baggage trains in the rear, the regiment spent an uneventful winter on the Peninsula, but with the Spring campaigns of 1862, they were soon drawn into action. In April, the regiment was withdrawn and sent to the Shenandoah Valley under the command of Richard Stoddert Ewell, a man whom Seymour found personally repulsive and incompetent. But it was in the Shenandoah Campaign that the Irishmen of the 6th proved their worth as soldiers, playing important parts in the Battles of Front Royal, Winchester, Cross Keys and Port Republic. After returning to the Peninsula in June to help counter McClellan's advance, the 6th Louisiana was devastated at the Battle of Gaines Mills, emerging with fewer than 50 effectives. Col. Seymour was killed in the battle, leading his Tigers into Boatswain's Swamp and was buried on the battlefield.
Col. Seymour's son, William, appears to have had more than a little of his father's spirit. Having accepted the editorship of the Commercial Bulletin only reluctantly, William obeyed his father's wishes and refrained from joining in the war only until the spring of 1862, when he received an appointment as aide to Brig. Gen. Johnson Kelly Duncan, and went into the unsuccessful defences of Forts Jackson and St. Philip. On April 28th, having endured the heavy shelling of Union gunboats and the mutiny of their own men, Seymour and his fellow officers surrendered Fort Jackson to David D. Porter, and were granted release on parole, only to return to New Orleans just before it, too, capitulated.
Seymour remained in New Orleans through the fall, witness to what he considered the brutal and immoral administration of Ben Butler. Having been informed by Butler that if closed, the Commerical Bulletin would be reopened as a Union newspaper, Seymour stubbornly kept it going, however Butler seized the paper anyway after a laudatory obituary to Col. Seymour appeared, and placed William in confinement at Fort Jackson. William was released from Fort Jackson in October and married Elizabeth Berthoud Grimshaw. Butler allowed the young couple to leave New Orleans in December.
After leaving his new wife in Macon, Seymour reentered the service, this time as aide de camp under the new commander of the 1st Louisiana Brigade, Harry T. Hays (Ewell's Division, Stonewall Jackson's 2nd Corps, A.N.V.). William arrived just as the spring offensive of 1863 was beginning, and survived Chancellorsville, 2nd Winchester and Gettysburg (Cemetery Hill), and later in the fall, Bristoe Station and Mine Run. Despite suffering heavily in these engagements, the Louisiana Brigade continued in their effective service through the campaigns of 1864, and the battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Campaign (the Bloody Angle), North Anna River and, for a second time, the Shenandoah Valley. Exhausted and ill, Seymour was ordered to report to the Brigade Surgeon on June 4th, 1864, who placed his on disability for 50 days, later extended to 70.
When Seymour returned to duty, the tide of the war had clearly changed, and while he still considered the southerner troops to be superior to the northern, it was clear to Seymour that they were now badly outnumbered and outgunned. At Winchester, Seymour witnessed the loss of yet another Confederate general, Robert Emmet Rodes, and was present at Fisher's Hill and ensuing engagements as Confederate resistance buckled under the pressure of Sheridan's forces. In the middle of October Seymour's health failed, and he was placed on sick leave for at least five months. While convalescing, he appears to have attempted to secure a transfer to a post in the deep south, but with what success is hard to judge. After the war, Seymour returned to his publishing business in New Orleans, but was troubled with ill health for much of the remainder of his life. He died of heart failure in 1886, leaving his wife and five surviving children.
From the guide to the William and Isaac Seymour collection, Seymour, William and Isaac, 1825-1869, (William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan)
Isaac N. Seymour SwStr - History
History of Wolcott, New York
FROM LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY
EDITED BY: HON, GEORGE C. COWLES
ASSISTED BY H. P. SMITH AND OTHERS
PUBLISHED BY D. MASON & CO. PUBLISHERS, SYRACUSE, NY 1895
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF WOLCOTT.
THE old town of Wolcott, comprising the present towns of Butler, Wolcott, Huron, and Rose, was set off from the north end of Junius, Seneca county, on the 24th of March, 1807, but a legal organization was not effected until April, 1810. June 11, 1814, a special town meeting was convened to consider the question of uniting with the town of Galen (then including Savannah), Sterling, Cato, Hannibal, and Lysander in the formation of a new county to be known as Peru, but the delegates appointed were instructed to vote against the proposition. The subject was revived in 1815, but was soon abandoned. About 1823 it was once more agitated, and this time effectively, but not without considerable difficulty in the adjustment of boundary lines. Among the committeemen appointed for the purpose were Amos Snyder, Norman Sheldon, Thomas Armstrong, and Elisha Plank. Huron and Butler both wanted to include Wolcott village, while the settlers in the vicinity of Red Creek were willing to accommodate either town so as to make their village the principal point in the new township. The matter was finally settled and the three towns were set off, as at present constituted, in 1826, viz.: Rose on February 5 Huron on February 25 and Butler on February 26, leaving Wolcott with its present assessed area of 20,828½ acres.
The town liesin the northeast corner of Wayne county, and is bounded on the north by Lake Ontario, on the east by Cayuga county, on the south by Butler, and on the west by Huron and the lake. The surface is undulating with a general inclination toward Lake Ontario. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam and susceptible of easy cultivation. Port Bay, in the northeast corner of the town, extends inland several miles and receives the waters of Wolcott Creek, which flows from Butler through Wolcott village, where it affords valuable mill sites. In the northeast corner is Blind Sodus Bay, so named from the sand-bar which stretches across its mouth from the west shore. Between these are two smaller bays, the east one of which recieves the waters of Big and Little Red Creeks, the former flowing through the village of Red Creek. These and two or three other small streams, all flowing to wards Lake Ontario, afford excellent drainage and several good mill privileges.
Agriculture forms the chief industry of the inhabitants. The soil is well adapted to all kinds of farming and fruit raising. Apples, pears, peaches, plums, raspberries, etc., are grown with profit, and of late years the cultivation of tobacco has received more or less attention. Originally the town was covered with a heavy growth of timber indigenous to this latitude, which furnished employment to a number of saw mills, all of which, with the exception perhaps of a few portable concerns, have long since gone down.
North of Wolcott village and along Big Red Creek are several beds of iron ore. The bed near the village of Red Creek has been worked in past years with considerable profit. In various parts of the town evidence of salt water have been discovered. In 1887 the Wolcott Gas and Mining Company, of which Jefferson W. Hoag was president, sunk a well inside the limits of Wolcott village to a depth of 2,700 feet. Brine and natural gas were found, the latter in considerabla quantities, but neither was ever utilized.
The town was settled with a class of hardy, resolute men and women, who were endowed 'with sterling traits of character and remarkable powers of endurance, and whose keen perception, habits of thrift, and personal characteristics are inherited by their descendants and permeate the communities in which they lived. The pioneers, with very few exceptions, have passed away, but the fruits of their labors are visible on every hand. The fertile fields, the beautiful orchards, the pleasant and commodious homes, the thriving villages-all are living monuments to their hardships and privations, while the numerous schools and churches attest the standard of their ideas of civilization.
The town derived its name from Oliver Wolcott, governor of Connecticut, from which State and Massachusetts many of the first settlers originally came. It lies wholly within the old Military Tract. The original town extended south to Galen and Savannah and west to the new pre-emption line, and when the latter boundary was established all of the present town of Huron, nearly all of Rose, and the western parts of Wolcott and Butler were made over to the Puitney estate as compensation. From that estate Capt. Charles Williamson, the founder of Sodus Point, received title to the entire tract in payment for money advanced in the purchase of previous patents. It thus became known as Williamson's patent.
During the earlier settlement of Wolcott the chief means of transportation was by way of Sloop Landing, an important port on the east side of Great Sodus Bay, between the present sites of Port Glasgow and Bonn icastle. Thither all produce was drawn, whence it was shipped to Canada or down the St. Lawrence. It promised a brilliant future and maintained a wide prestige for many years. But the Erie Canal drew nearly all the commerce southward, and Sloop Landing gradually fell into decay. The New York Central Railroad, through the south- em part of the county, had a marked influence upon the settlement and development of this section, but its most important acquisition was the Lake Ontario Shore Railroad (now the R., W. & O.), which was commenced in 1871 and completed through the town, with stations at Wolcott and Red Creek, in 1874. At Red Creek the old settlers, on August 23, 1871, made the occasion memorable by formally breaking ground for the line with appropriate ceremonies. To aid in the construction of this railroad the town was bonded at seven per cent., the bonds being exchanged February 1, 1882, for five per cent. bonds, amounting to $139,000, of which about $95,000 remain unpaid. The railroad commissioner is Wesley Hall.
The first highway in Wolcott was the "old Galen road," running from the salt works in Savannah to Capt. Helms's place at "Floating Bridge" (now Port Glasgow) this thoroughfare was opened by the Galen Salt Company prior to 1808. The first regular road was surveyed and established November 2, 1810, by Osgood Church Jacob Shook and Peres Bardwell, highway commissioners this is now called the New Hartford road leading south from Wolcott village. Mr. Church surveyed nearly all of the early highways, and Messrs. Shook and Bardwell were long the road commissioners. In 1810 the old town was divided into- nine road districts, the commissioners filing their report March 19, 1811. The present town contains sixty-three.
The first town meeting was held at the grist mill of Jonathan Melvin, Sr., in Wolcott village on April 3, 1810, a little more than three years after the old town had been set off from Junius. The first officers were as follows
Osgood Church, supervisor Adonijah Church, town clerk Obadiah Adams, Osgood Church, John N. Murray, assessors Ezra Knapp and Jesse Mathews, overseers of the poor Isaac Shook, Peres Bardwell, Noah Starr, highway commissioners Levi Wheeler and John Grandy, town viewers Glazier Wheeler, William P. Newell, James Alexander, Roger Sheldon, overseers of highways.
It is believed that those who participated at this town meeting, and who, of course, were residents of the old town of Wolcott, were: